Monday, September 19, 2011

The Help

 
I'm sure that many of you have either read  "The Help" or have seen the movie.  If you haven't, it is a multidimensional story about the black women who cared for the white women's children in the mid 1900's in Jackson, Mississippi.  It is an endearing and thought provoking movie that makes you laugh one minute and cry the next.  If you haven't seen it, I would recommend it.

I would also like to introduce you to an amazing person in our lives. Adaleene Gahagen!  She was born in August 1 in 1928, the 3rd child of 4.  She has been a typical Appalachian woman.  She has worked hard, raised a family of five, and been a wonderful influence to all her Grandchildren.  She is self reliant, independent, christian, neighborly, hospitable, patriotic, and has been a light in our lives for about 20+ years. 

Adalene & Lydia at Lydia's Graduation Party
I met Adaleene whem I was working as a home health nurse and was caring for her mother, Ms. Emma.  During that time I was expecting my last child, Lydia.  One day when I walked in to their home to make my Home Health visit, Adaleene and her sister, Anna Mae, were cooking some collard greens.  I told them they smelled SO good and they insisted I eat some because "A pregnant woman should get what she wants to eat."

Some time later, I took maternity leave for a couple of months after Lydia arrived.  I had been looking for some type of sitter for her and couldn't find anyone.  On my last straw  I prayed: God, if you want me to return to work you are going to have to supply a sitter for me.  Within 2 hours later, Adaleene called.

To make a long story short, God blessed our family with Adalene for about 20 years.  She came to our house regularly to care for our 3 children, do laundry, cleaning, and cooking.  I could go on and on.
Adaleene (left) & Anna Mae (right)

She worked very hard and was so happy, dependable, and efficient.  She became a part of our hearts and our family.  She still is today!

Adalene was our "Help" and what a support, inspiration, example, blessing, and a "Help" she has been.

Do you have anyone some special in your life who has been a "Help" to you and yours?  If so, tell us about it in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment